Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Even Buddhists get angry.

Okay...so the well-known part of being a buddhist is the dedication buddhists give to the idea of being peaceful beings trying to spread peace. Given the internal turmoil I have allowed to eat at me over the years, trying to more at peace with the ways of life has been a mighty fine and well-timed decision on my part...

But today at work, I simply got fed up with several situations I view as utter BS on the part of other people being paid to do a job.

I'll be the first to admit that I have traditionally been a lazy dude in my dealings on my own time, but a light bulb has always turned on when I am being compensated for my effort (meaning, when I have a freakin' job). I foolishly assume that this is a general principle held among the working public to varying degrees. However, truth is, people can fall in love with laziness and choke off their own thinking with fear of reprisal in a workplace. In my opinion, this leads to a lack of cooperation and ineffectiveness.

I really dislike this in a work environment. In fact, it burns me to virtually no end because I pride myself on thinking ahead more often than not, and going the extra mile to see a task through while I'm on the clock. Why can't others embrace this concept for the time they are working? It would make life so much simpler and less stressful. The lack of this energy and will in co-workers just disappoints me.

In the hours since I've left the office, I have calmed down a great deal, chanted in front of my Gohonzon, and started to do what an adult should do: Consider ways to bring about the ideal action in the real. And on a higher, personal level, be able to accept the realities of what's before me without allowing it to alter my spirit of effort or knowledge of something better.

I'll see how this plays out tomorrow on the job.

End of vent/revelation.

1 comment:

kbb said...

we've talked about this very issue on many occasions and you are absolutely correct. It is a shame that we all don't adopt this attitude, both when it comes to our mindsets about work, and the attitude to think, "what can I do to bring about the type of workplace I want to be a part of."